What to do in the summertime in Atlanta?
I have kids and I hear, a lot, there’s nothing to do. Are you kidding? What’s going on in Atlanta?
- May 1: Lewis Black is in town for a great comedic turn.
- May 2: Some guy named Bill Cosby brings his “Far from finished” tour to Atlanta on May 2nd
- May 8-10: Rock and Americana festival at Central Park, headlining with The Strokes, Wilco and The Avett Brothers
- Zac Brown Band will be at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater on May 8th and 9th
- Sweet Auburn Springfest takes place May 8-10
- May 10 – call your mom! (Mother’s day)
- May 12: Ed Kowalcyzk is unplugged at the Variety Playhouse
- R Kelly, Eryka Badu, 8ball perform at the Atlanta Funkfest. Rumors of 2LiveCrew reunion also!
- May 16: Shaky Boots come to Kennesaw
- May 18: Monday Night Brewing serving up brews at the Beltline Jamboree
- May 22 (Memorial Day Weekend): Atlanta Jazz Festival – nothing more needs to be said. Go!
- May 28 through 31: The Atlanta Food and Wine Festival brings the South’s best chefs and a large gathering of foodies.
- Go to the West Side for the Georgia Craft Beer Festival on May 30th from 1-6pm
- Candler Park Musical Festival runs from May 30-31 with a host of great venues
In addition to the scheduled events, you should check out the following as well:
- The King Center – ’nuff said on that, go check it out.
- Sweetwater brewery – go visit. Too cool!
- Renaissance Festival – A full day’s fun
- Atlanta Dog Parks – take poochy for a fun day
- Aquarium – if you haven’t yet gone, you should
- Coca-Cola Museum – again, if you haven’t gone, you should
- Fernbank Science Museum – too much fun stuff to list.
- Hard Labor Creed State Park – no, not a prison but rather a very nice place to hang out, have a picnic, rent a canoe, etc.
- Stone Mountain – lazer show, hiking, running, fishing, swimming, beautiful views, etc.
- Centennial Olympic Park – worth the visit to enjoy beautiful downtown Atlanta and let the kids play in the water fountains
- Oakland Cemetery – sounds scary (and it can be at night) but worth a visit to get a taste of how historic this great city really is!
So..yeah…nothing to do. Get the hell out of the house and explore your city!